Whole wheat bread is indeed a better alternative to white bakery, particularly for those who are seeking to lose weight. This has even more amount of fiber, less carbohydrates plus sugar, as compared to white breads. Those who are under some sort of low carbohydrate or low-sugar diet would certainly profit from this type of bread. Furthermore, you feel full easily because regarding the rich fiber content; hence, you do not end up wanting to be able to keep on munching on loads of food.
Sourdough Pretzel Crisps® Are A Modern Twist On An Old Favorite Snack. Enjoy The Gourmet Snack That's Dippable, Spreadable, And Deliciously Snackable Grab Some Of Your Favorite Pretzels Or Pretzel Nuggets For A Snack That Satisfies. Dive Into The Weekend With A Fresh Pretzel Or Other Snack From Auntie Anne's.
Sourdough Lye Pretzels Benefits Blueberries, banana and orange are just a few of the quite a few fruit that you can mix in the batter. Whole wheat will surely tastes appetizing by adding fresh berries or mashed bananas. Make a nice loaf or muffins with these elements. Definitely not only will you enjoy the thrilling taste of the fruits on the particular bread; they also provide vitamins together with minerals that make the bread nutritious and scrumptious.
To get started with this particular recipe, we have to prepare a few ingredients. You can have sourdough lye pretzels using 17 ingredients and 22 steps. Here is how you cook it.
The ingredients needed to make Sourdough Lye Pretzels:
- Take Sourdough Pre-dough:
- Prepare 80 g whole wheat flour
- Get 40 g bread flour
- Take 120 g warm water
- Make ready 12 g sourdough starter
- Make ready Main Dough:
- Make ready 280 g all-purpose or bread flour
- Prepare 105 g water (room temp)
- Get 16 g unsalted butter
- Take 8 g salt
- Make ready Lye Wash:
- Get 15-20 g lye (I always use 20 g, but depending on the baker it may be less)
- Take 500 ml water
- Make ready Toppings (choose what you like):
- Prepare 1-2 tsp Course rock salt or pretzel salt, or as needed
- Get 1-2 tsp Caraway seeds or as needed
- Take 1-2 tsp Sesame seeds, etc, or as needed
Then place them in a prepared tray with parchment paper. After you are done, make sure to dispose of the lye water solution. Pour it down the drain or check the regulations in your state to dispose of the lye water properly. Tight even crumb, just what I like.
Steps to make Sourdough Lye Pretzels:
- Mix sourdough pre-dough ingredients in a small bowl. Let stand for 20-24 hours at room temperature.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, butter and salt for the main dough. Put sourdough pre-dough on top and pour over water. Gradually mix in liquid with your fingers until hydrated and crumbly, but can be kneaded into a ball.
- Form dough into a rough ball and remove from bowl to a floured surface for kneading. Knead until smooth about 10 minutes.
- Return to bowl and cover. Let rest for 90 minutes.
- Divide dough into 8 pieces. Form into rounds for pretzel rolls, or roll out into long pieces to form into twisted pretzel shapes. (I'll explain how to make the shapes below):
- For rolls, take a piece of the dough and gently pull up and fold the sides of the dough into the center of the ball, rotating as you go. You're trying to get the bottom part nice and round and smooth.
- Turn over so the folds are on the bottom and place on the tray.
- For the pretzel twists, first roll each piece of dough into short "log" shape by folding over the edges of the dough over itself 3-4 times. Gently press down at the edge of the fold each time you fold over, but be careful not to squash out all the air in the log.
- The point is to get an evenly thick cylinder/log shape so you can roll them out nicely without getting a lopsided pretzel.
- Next, using your fingers (not palms!), gradually roll out the edges of each log into long pointy ends (see next photo). Leave the very middle intact as this part will be the plump part of the pretzel. If the the dough is slipping as you roll, spray a little bit of water on your working surface so the dough sticks just a tad bit without slipping.
- Here is what it looks like when you're finished rolling out! It's about 4 times the length of the original log shape.
- Now just twist the ends once or twice around each other like this.
- Then flip the twist up and over, pressing the very tips into the dough at towards the top with your finger.
- Arrange them on a tray with some space in between…
- Then cover lightly with a tea towel. Place in refrigerator for 9-12 hours. This lets it slowly rise giving it more flavor and lets the outside dry a little bit, making it easier to dunk in lye water or boil in the baking soda water.
- After 8-12 hours and when you're ready to bake, preheat the oven to 210°C/410°F. Line your baking sheet with wax or parchment paper.
- Prepare the Lye Wash: Put 500 ml of cold water into a medium bowl and then carefully put the lye into the water and gently stir to dissolve. The water will become cloudy at first, but then clear up again. (note: DO NOT use aluminum bowls because the lye will react with aluminum).
- Take the pretzels out of the fridge. Make sure you put on rubber gloves that will not let any lye liquid go through to your skin! One by one, dunk each pretzel into the lye water for 4-5 seconds making sure all surfaces are submerged in the water. Shake off excess liquid and move each pretzel to your lined baking sheet.
- While still wet, sprinkle the pretzels with the salt and other toppings if using.
- For the twisted pretzel, make a horizontal slit across the fat part of the pretzel.
- For the pretzel rolls, cut a fairly deep X into the roll with scissors.
- Bake for 18 minutes at 210°C/410°F. Remove from oven and let cool on a cooling rack for a few minutes. Enjoy with plenty of butter!!
Combine the starter and water in the bowl of a stand a mixer with the paddle attached (or mix by hand). Brush the pretzels with the solution, and sprinkle lightly with coarse pretzel salt. Note: This is correct; there's no need to let the shaped pretzels rise before baking. Remove the pretzels from the oven, and brush with melted butter. The lye, as well as the baking soda, increases the alkalinity of the surface of the pretzel and allows for a browning reaction between amino group and reducing sugars to occur.
So that’s going to wrap this up for this special food sourdough lye pretzels recipe. Eating healthy does not mean an individual have to put up with dull and bland food items. In fact, you can still enjoy something sweet and tasty even when you will be on a restricted diet. Whole rice goes well with several components many of these as fruits, vegetable, nuts and chocolates; you can use these food products to make the bread menu flavor superb and appetizing. Hence, try the ideas in making scrumptious whole wheat or grain bread that you and the whole family will love.